What is a lifestyle photography session?
A family lifestyle session is exactly what it sounds like! A photoshoot to document your family and your lifestyle. This type of session is going to be vastly different than say, a holiday card shoot. Those portrait sessions usually include everyone dressed up, posed and looking at the camera.
In contrast, a family lifestyle session is going to capture many more candid moments. As a client, you'll be in your most familiar environment - your home! You'll still be put together and dressed nice, but a little bit more casual. Posing will be much more interactive and focused on one another, rather than the camera. This will create genuine, real moments between you and your family.
5 REASONS TO BOOK AN IN-HOME LIFESTYLE SESSION
- We'll focus on natural, authentic moments - By doing activities and being at home, your children may feel more at ease and comfortable. That allows me to capture your kids naturally - their goofy laughs, genuine smiles and all! They get to look at the camera less and interact with each other much more.
- Kid's grow fast! The truth is, you won't remember every detail. Your kiddo's will grow up, your house will change, but you'll always be able to look back at these photos and remember these moments.
- You don't have to leave the comfort of your own home. Leaving the house with kids is not a simple task. Don't worry about packing all the diapers, wipes, back-up outfits, etc and rushing out the door on time. I'll come to you while you can relax and spend time with your family.
- I can include your pets too! I adore photographing pets in any session! Photographing in your own home means we can include your beloved dog, cat or even lizard!
- We won't need to worry about the weather. Here in Colorado, we all know the crazy weather could leave us with unexpected snow, wind or hail. With the session taking place in your home, we won't need to worry about your hair blowing or the kiddos getting cold and having runny noses.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY SESSION?
Since I'll be photographing the inside of your home, minimal clutter is preferred. But if you want to show the authenticity of having kids, it's completely up to you! Open all the windows to let in the natural light, and make at least one bed in the house that your family can snuggle on.
Kids can be chaotic. Before the shoot, set aside any important items you might want me to photograph. Some examples of these might include their first pair of shoes, a special knit blanket, an heirloom rattle or a stuffed animal.
What to wear: Avoid disposable diapers with character showing, plain diapers work best! Avoid having any logos or images on clothing. Feel free to pick two different types of outfits - one outfit can be nicer and one outfit can be more casual, matching pajamas are super cute!
Doing something that you guys enjoy as a family can make for a super fun photoshoot! Order a pizza, bake brownies, read together, or have the kids take a bubble bath together. During the holiday season, some fun activities might include carving pumpkins, decorating the tree, wrapping presents, etc.